The cornerstone laying of the hierarchical Cathedral dedicated to the Theotokos, Surety of Sinners, took place in May 1933.
The Cathedral was located at the former Route Paul Henry, adjacent to the parc de Ravine in the French Concession (present day 55, Shanghai.Road, District ),
The idea of building this cathedral began as early as 1929 by Archbishop Simon. Near the end of 1934 upon the arrival from Serbia of the newly consecrated Bishop John (Maximovitch) of Shanghai, this magnificent cathedral along with a three-story parish house and bell tower was finally completed in February 1936 under the supervision of St John the Wonderworker.
In the 1930s, after Protodeacon Fr. Fedot Stepanovich Zadorozhny left Harbin for Shanghai, he was engaged in the painting of the cathedral in honor of the icon of the Mother of God "The Guarantor of Sinners." In autumn 1936 he finished painting the walls and the icon of the Almighty God of hosts in the main dome (preserved to this day). In June 1939, the 25th anniversary of his icon-painting work was celebrated with a solemn prayer service in the cathedral.
In May 1942, Fr Michael Rogozhin was appointed rector. From 1946 until the Communist came to power in 1949, Fr Elias Wen was the rector of the Cathedral. In May 1951, Patriarch Alexy of Moscow assigned Bishop Simeon (Du) to the Shanghai Diocese. According to Shanghai municipal archive, the Divine Liturgy in the Cathedral was last celebrated in Febrary 1962, when Bishop Simeon fell ill.
The church building until recently has been used by "The Dome" bar restaurant.