Ulan Bator, September 5, Interfax—Rev. Alexy Trubach, rector of the Parish of the Holy Trinity in Ulan Bator, appealed to Mongolian President Nambar Enkhbayar to give financial support for the construction of a new Orthodox church dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
During his meeting with Father Alexy, Enkhbayar supported the idea, pointing to the ages-old relations between the Mongolian state and Russia.
The Parish of the Holy Trinity has been so far the only Orthodox parish in the country. About one thousand believers who reside or work in Mongolia come to it annually. It was opened in 1864 at the Church of the Life-giving Trinity at the Russian consulate. After the 1917 Revolution it stopped functioning and was re-opened only in 1998.